Invisalign is quickly becoming a popular alternative to traditional metal braces. While looking at the different options for orthodontic appliances, many chose Invisalign because it is made of a clear plastic material, it is comfortable, and it is virtually invisible. However, not many prospective patients know if they are a good candidate for Invisalign. While the only true way to know is to have a consultation with Dr. Ana Castilla of Castilla Orthodontics to see if Invisalign can straighten your teeth, here are some of her tips on what Invisalign treats to see if you should consider Invisalign near Salem, OR as an alternative to traditional metal braces.
- Gapped Teeth: Gapped teeth can occur in patients because of abnormal growth in the jawbone or missing teeth where other teeth move to fill the gap missing. These can cause serious problems such as gum diseases. However, Invisalign can fix gapped teeth and make sure your teeth are aligned, straight, and not leaving any holes in your smile.
- Overbite: Technically, the term overbite refers to an “overjet” which is when the upper row of teeth bite in front of the lower row of teeth. This can be because of overdeveloped bones which support the upper row of teeth, bad oral hygiene, or genetics. A result of an overbite could be pain in the jaw or gum disease. Invisalign can realign your teeth to make your overbite disappear. Sometimes with overbites, Dr. Ana Castilla will recommend you wear rubber bands to help speed up the process and make sure your teeth align correctly.
- Underbite: Underbites are the opposite of overbites. Underbites occur when the upper row of teeth bites behind the lower row of teeth. Usually, underbites are caused by an overgrown lower jaw or an underdeveloped upper jaw. Just like overbites, underbites can cause jaw pain and wear on the upper row of teeth. Underbites are similar to overbites in the sense that Invisalign can fix both problems and realign your teeth, sometimes using rubber bands.
- Open Bite: Open bites occur when the upper row of teeth and the lower row of teeth do not meet in the middle of your smile. This can be caused by a misaligned or abnormal jaw or thumb sucking. In most patients with an open bite, there is an impairment, and possible pain, with eating and speech. With Invisalign, there is often less pain during treatment compared to other orthodontic treatment options.
- Overly Crowded: Just like its Castilla suggests, overly crowded teeth occur when all of your teeth cannot fit into your mouth. While it is not usually painful, overly crowded teeth can lead to an accumulation of plaque and food which might lead to tooth decay or gum disease.
- Crossbite: Finally, crossbite occurs when both the upper and the lower rows of teeth are misaligned. Crossbite can cause wear on the teeth and lead to bone loss or gum disease.
Invisalign can treat many patients problems, ranging from overbites or underbites to over crowding of teeth. While this list is a good indicator to see if you are a good candidate for Invisalign, no one knows better than Dr. Ana Castilla. For more information or to make an appointment for a consultation, please call 503.399.0721 or visit Castilla Orthodontics near Salem, OR. Dr. Ana Castilla wants to make sure you finish treatment with the perfect smile and Invisalign might be the perfect way to go.